At Acorn Therapy we like to be able to offer service that offers safe space for people to explore whatever challenges they may be facing. However, there may be times when you feel down and upset, unaware of services available in Taunton-Somerset, in the UK and beyond to help you out, so below are some free services available for those difficult times.
These free helplines and services are there to help when you’re feeling down or desperate.
Unless it says otherwise, they’re open 24 hours a day, every day.
In an emergency:
- Call 999
- Go to your local A&E department
If you’re in crisis and need to speak to someone:
- Call NHS 111 (for when you need help but are not in immediate danger)
- Contact your GP and ask for an emergency appointment
- Contact the Samaritans (details below)
- Use the ‘Shout’ crisis text line– text SHOUT to 85258
Download an app called” Stay alive” this will give you techniques to help with troubling thoughts and will help in times of crisis
You can use the website www.kooth.com they work with you and advise you as if they were friends of yours. You can watch videos to help you understand the support they can give you. There are also articles written by other people who have gone through similar struggles.
Sane Line work with anyone affected by mental illness, including families, friends and carers. Their helpline is open between 4:40pm and 10pm every day of the year. They also provide a free text-based support service called Textcare. And an online supportive forum community, where anyone can share their experiences of mental health issues.
Work with people under 35 who are having suicidal feelings. And with people who are worried about someone under 35. Their helpline is open 10am – 10pm in the week. And between 2pm and 10pm at weekends and bank holidays.
The Mix provides judgement-free information and support to young people aged 13-25 on a range of issues including mental health problems. Young people can access the The Mix’s support via phone, email, webchat, peer to peer and counselling services
Rethink Mental Illness
Rethink Mental Illness works to help everyone affected by severe mental illness, such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, recover a better quality of life. It provides effective services and support and campaigns for change through greater awareness and understanding.
Parents who have concerns can ring Yong Minds helpline on 0808 802 55544 or website www.youngminds.org.uk there are lots of tips on how to boost self esteem.
Mind offers advice, support and information to people experiencing a mental health difficulty and their family and friends. Mind also has a network of local associations in England and Wales to which people can turn for help and assistance.
Lines are open Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm (except bank holidays).
Other useful websites
Here is a list of generally useful websites for counsellors, therapists, student counsellors in the UK, with a wide range of therapy resources online.
- Cruse Bereavement Care – for bereavement advice and support
- Rape Crisis England and Wales – for women and girls who’ve been raped or sexually abused
- Relate – for relationship advice and counselling
- Samaritans – for people to talk about whatever’s troubling them at any time
- Victim Support – for victims and witnesses of crime
- Offers free child and youth mental health toolkits- Child & Youth Mental Health Toolkits
- A PDF compilation of practitioners sharing their favourite interventions-Therapeutic Activities for Children, Adolescents and Families
- This website offers CBT self-help information, resources and including therapy worksheets-Cognitive Behaviour Therapy Self-Help Resources
- Psychotherapy worksheets of all kinds – depression, anxiety, anger management, stress reduction, self-esteem, groups, individuals, couples, adults, teens, children-Therapy Worksheets
- Psychoeducational Worksheets – Keeping clients on track in between sessions.
- The Helpful Counsellor – Behavior management activities, printables, ideas.
- Group Therapy Activities and Resources – A comprehensive list of videos, books and web sites for their relevance to group therapy ideas, themes, activities and resources.
- Group Therapy Ideas and Themes – An extensive resource of group therapy ideas.
- Group Therapy Activities – A list of expressive group therapy ideas for use in mental health settings for groups of adults, children, and teens
- Positive Psychology Program – Offers extensive blog articles and positive psychology exercises.
- Expressive Art Workshops – This website offers 100 links to art therapy directives on the internet.
- Practice of the Practice – How to launch and grow a private counselling practice in 12 months.
- All Things Private Practice – Practice building tips and a community of support.
- Social Worker Helper – Using therapeutic games in counselling sessions.
- Kim’s Counseling Corner – Resources for child, family and parenting counselling.
- Love is Respect – Teaches youth and young adults about healthy relationships, dating, and communication.
- Love and Life Toolbox – Videos, interactive quizzes, and a directory of healthy marriage and family programs.
- Smart Marriages – Educational workshops and classes, support groups, and multimedia resources.
- Depression and Bipolar Alliance – Offers a wealth of resources, including downloadable educational materials and self-help tools.
- Families for Depression Awareness – In addition to news, interviews with experts, and training webinars, FFDA offers a “depression wellness analyzer” feature, “mental health family tree” tool, and a “depression and bipolar test.”
- Recover from Grief – Valuable information about the grieving process as well as coping strategies.
- The Grief Toolbox – Articles, other resources, and an online art gallery help support individuals in the grieving process
- Navigating Grief – Provides educational tools and insight into the grieving process from the point of view of a hospice volunteer, widow, and caregiver.
- Gift from Within – Resources, information, and useful tools for those recovering from trauma of many kinds.
- LGBTQ Resources and Services – Providing educational and empowering resources surrounding human sexual diversity and sexual orientation.
- The Addiction Recovery Guide – Offers links to treatment options, programs and resources, medications used in treating addiction, holistic approaches to addiction.
- Addiction Land – Expert perspectives on various addictions.
- Addiction Professional – Blogs by addiction professionals.
- National Institute of Drug Abuse for Teens – Provides numerous links and resources pertaining to drug abuse among adolescents ages 11 through 15.
- Suicide Prevention Resources – Support for suicide prevention in Canada.
- Anxiety BC – Activity forms and toolkits for managing anxiety.
- Anxiety.org – Learn about different types of anxiety, how to deal with anxiety issues.
- The Child Anxiety Network – Dedicated to anxiety issues in children and youth. Child-specific information about symptoms, coping strategies, and resources.
- Anxiety and Depression Association of America – Comprehensive resource for facts and information about a variety of anxiety-related issues.
- Calm Clinic – Resources for panic and anxiety disorders.
- Counselor Magazine Blog – The magazine for addiction counsellors.
- Online Therapy Institute Blog – Information about online therapy and how to run an internet practice