BA Integ Couns, FDA, Cert, Reg, MBACP
I generally introduce myself as a Counsellor or Psychotherapist – because that’s the ‘business-card’ approach. However, that’s not quite the whole story. I sometimes say I am a Cross-Cultural Counsellor: Working with Culture, Ethnicity and diversity.
I was born in Uganda. I came to the UK in my Mid Twenties and I have lived here ever since. Although my childhood was quite challenging, it shaped how I relate to the world and left me with a lifetime fascination with how our diverse cultures and backgrounds work.
I founded Acorn therapy in 2017. Once I completed my first counselling degree, I decided to offer a service that gives clients a fresh and unique therapy experience that doesn’t conform to the therapist stereotype. I would love to change the status quo surrounding counselling and psychotherapy and open it up to those who would previously have never considered it.
Besides therapy and counselling, playing music (Hand drumming, singing and percussion) is my second vocational passion – and I strongly believe in the healing properties of music.
Through our work together, you may be able to develop the skills needed for emotional health, resilience and well being.
Commitment to Excellence in Therapy
I have a commitment to excellence and I invest in training and continuous personal development (CPD). I am a trained and qualified counsellor.
- I completed 4 years of training, my initial therapy training was at the Iron Mill College in Exeter where I gained a certificate in counselling. I subsequently gained a foundation degree and then studied for a BA in integrative therapy from the University of Worcester.
- I am a registered member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). I abide by its code of ethics and professional practice.
- I have a clean DBS and I am fully covered by Professional Liability Insurance.
- My work is fully supervised by registered supervisors and I continually update my professional development.
- I have travelled widely in my life and I have experienced life in many parts of the world. Travel has given me a wide experience of the various cultures.
Why chose me?
- I am a Fully Qualified Counsellor
- I work with Current, Innovative ways
- I assist you with your Current Issues, as well as, aim to share Skills for Emotional Resilience
- I provide a Confidential, Safe and Supportive Environment
- My way of working is Easy to Understand and can be adapted to your unique individual experience
- I provide counselling that will focus on enhancing your Psychological and Emotional well-being so that you can reach your full potential.
- Through our work together, I aim to assist you to not only address your current concerns but to bounce back from past difficulties and challenges so that you can move forward with vitality in your life.
When you work with me, you may find yourself learning to:
- Gain insight into your struggles
- Find ways to manage painful and unhelpful thoughts and feelings
- Find ways to escape the cycle of unhelpful habits
- Discover how to create more rewarding relationships
- Take actions toward effective behaviours
- You may find more fulfilment, joy and satisfaction in work and in life generally
- Counselling may help you move beyond your fears, defences, and insecurities
- Could be a way to reduce stress
My professional membership:
I am a registered member of Various Professional associations and Organisations including:
British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy ( BACP). I bide by its code of ethics and professional practice.
Member of the Taunton Association of Therapists( TAP).
Member The black, African and Asian Therapy Network( BAATN).
As a result, I attend regular supervision which further enhances the safety and effectiveness of my work. I have a clean DBS and I am fully covered by Professional Liability Insurance.
I am a registered member of the Black, African and Asian Therapy Network (BAATN), I have a specialist interest in diversity, cross-cultural issues and psychosocial power dynamics in Western society. I create a safe space for clients to bring the awkward, the ugly and the difficult issues which normally can’t be explored outside of a therapy room.